Friday, April 16, 2010

Blogger Confidential

So this post should really be called Blogger Confidentiality but I thought blogger confidential sounded better. Call me vain and throw me in a pot of boiling water. So be it.

Anyway, I grapple with the blogger thing. I would like to do outfit posts but am worried about revealing too much of myself via the internet. To put this in perspective, I nearly died last week when I realised my privacy settings on facebook were not, in fact, very private at all. This problem was quickly rectified.

This is why I found the latest post by Stylelines really refreshing - the lovely Kat George posted a 'normal' yet very pretty picture of herself. I'm sick of the uber polished, dressed to perfection photos common on many fashion blogs and just want to see some normal people wearing normal outfits. I'm sure most style bloggers photoshop and 'fix up' their outfit photos before posting.

While these are two distinct issues, I feel they are connected. Are fashion blogs, and other social media mediums just a means for us to show others how perfect our lives are? How much should we reveal of ourselves on the internet?

To all the bloggers out there, tell me, how do you decide what is and what is not appropriate to reveal on the net?

No comments: