Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bright Star & Keats


A 24 hour thoroughly stressful and unenjoyable trip from venezia to melbourne was sweetened not only by the 4 valium tablets i took for my severe fear of flying, but also by being able to watch Bright Star. When those slightly annoying airline intros that come after the all important safety instructions were finished, I hastily turned my in-flight entertainment device onto a film which I had been eager to see since it's release in Australia in December. Jane Campion's movie surrounds the love affair between romantic poet John Keats (Ben Whishaw) and the strong-willed Fanny Brawne (Abbie Cornish). It is a beautifully shot film with amazing costumes and sets. I am a sucker for costume dramas hence my devotion to period films, not to mention BBC dramas!

My sister and I were lucky enough to visit the Keats museum when we were recently in Rome. Despite consisting of only four small rooms (the rooms in which Keats lived for the five or so weeks before he died), it is packed full of information on Keats' life, upbringing and family, as well as information on his contemporaries, Byron and Shelley. After taking in all this information, we relaxed in the main room where the poetry of Keats, Shelley, and Byron is on hand to read. Ideal for a cold and dreary afternoon in Roma!  

If you haven't seen Bright Star already, go and see it! Ditto if you find yourself at the Spanish Steps with a spare couple of hours!

Picture: www.brightstar-movie.com

No comments: